8.06.2006

Whose Terrorizing Who?

This summer I've done a great deal of traveling and my time spent in the airport always pisses me off. First it was while leaving the Bahamas, my passport was checked at the door of the plane. I had never experienced this before and it upset me that there was more security leaving the Bahamas than there was coming in. Then, on my trip to Uganda, we went through Dubai. Dubai is known for its gold and other sellable goods. African women are known as marketers and businesswoman. After going through the standard security checks at JFK airport, there was another guard in the corridor on the way to the plane. He saw my group (mostly young white students) and bid us a safe journey. However, an African woman in her fifties was walking alongside of me and she was abruptly stopped "randomly". She was questioned as to why she was traveling to Dubai, but more importantly the guard was more concerned about how much money she was traveling with. She daringly asked him why it was any of his concern and he gave her the BS speal about "doing his job". The blatant racial profiling angers me. There is no attempt to be subtle about it anymore.
On our way back from Uganda, we again transferred in Dubai. There was a terminal in the Dubai airport that was solely for trips to JFK airport. This terminal had another security check set-up that was not present at any other terminal. We went through the x-ray machines again and our bags were emptied and checked regardless of if anything on the x-ray looked suspicious. I inquired as to why this was only being done for trips to JFK and I was told it was in order to stop terrorist. I was so fed up with all of it, that I told the airport security that there was no need to keep looking for the terrorists because they had become them. I was being terrorized! That is when he told me after looking at my passport that the US had created this system and he was Arabic and only worked there! lol I couldn't blame him for disassociating himself. Upon entering the plane we were then told that throughout the 14 hour flight we were not to congregate with other passengers for fear of conspiracy I assume.
I just don't understand why the US doesn't realize that they must be doing something to anger the world to have to go to such extreme measures to protect itself. No other country is this paranoid about unidentifiable terrorists.
Things like this only heighten my desire to leave this country. I can not continue in an existence that perpetuates constant fear in its citizens.

No comments: