7.25.2007

Lim Loves the Kids

Today I gave the children the clothes that I collected. They were ecstatic. I was able to bring over 100 pieces of clothing and each child was able to receive at least one item. Even though only one item seems like it may not be much for the common person, to these children it is a great deal. Most of them wear the same items of clothing every single day. When the center was able to give them uniforms to give to school, they began to wear the uniforms during the day and using their single outfits as play clothes. Sadly enough, I am able to remember each child because they are usually wearing the same outfit each day. So having an additional shirt or bottom makes a huge difference to them.
They were also extremely grateful and I think they got more comfortable with me. One thing that has surprised me about working with this young people is the amount of respect they have for me and those around them. I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that this organization is community based, but I am so impressed by the way they conduct themselves in front of elders and those they respect. Each time they greet you or present you with something they bow in a sign of respect. I am so happy that even though a great deal of their family structure has been disrupted due to the death of their parents, they have maintained traditional customs and respect for elders. It is such a beautiful thing, and something that many youth in impoverished communities all over the world are lacking.

No comments: