8.07.2007

Breakthrough

This week, I made major moves in my research. I randomly met the chairman of the Kampala Central Division on Wednesday. He asked me about my research and offered to link me with government officials, who would be able to provide me with the information that I have been looking for. This was a welcomed surprise because I had visited several offices numerous times and either I was unable to locate those that I needed to speak to, or when I did locate someone they were too busy to help me find the information I needed. It was just my luck to run into their boss and he was more than willing to help.
On Friday, I met him in his office and he called several of the officials that I was unsuccessful in locating or soliciting help from. One by one they came into his office and he instructed them to help me in anyway they good. It was surreal. In some ways I felt bad because I am sure that some of them were not too thrilled by the fact that I was able to go above their heads and have them ordered to help me, but this research game is a hustle, so I had to find a way to get what I needed.
Because of his help, on Monday I met with the Education Officer at the Kampala City Council, where I was furnished with primary public and private school enrollment numbers for several years. And on Wednesday the Kampala Central Division Education Officer is taking me to primary schools to speak with the headmasters and mistresses about the challenges they’ve faced since the inception of Universal Primary Education. At the end of the week I am doing home visits in Mengo, the slum area where many children at not enrolled in school. I have spoken to education officers about the challenges they’ve faced with UPE, but I am sure that headmasters and families will have a different perspective about the benefit and shortcomings of UPE.

No comments: