8.29.2008

US Halts Family Reunification of Refugees

The US State Department has halted the family reunification of African refugees due to their belief that the participants were creating fraud. The article by BBC did not say what prompted it, but DNA tests were issued on samples of applicants and showed that only about 20% had blood relation. The State Department and Homeland security thus deemed this a fraud and have halted the program.
It is clear that the implementors of this investigation are ignorant of African kinship networks. Family is regarded as anyone who comes from the same village, compound, or community as you and is very rarely genetically defined. Also, as the African diaspora expands, Africans define family even more loosely. I, myself, who was not brought up in Cameroon refer to my family members as fellow Cameroonians that I've known since childhood, those who come from the same village as my parents, and even those who share the same dialect as my parents. I often and easily refer to someone that I may have met that same day as my cousin, aunt, or uncle.
Likewise, I come from a very large family and have more cousins than I can count. My mother being the most successful of the family has financially supported almost all of my cousins. For this reason many of them view her as their mother and if they were to immigrate to the US, she would call them her daughter or son.
Ultimately, I understand why an African refugee would refer to an extended relative or someone that is not a blood relative as their child or daughter. There is a good chance that they raised them! Especially in communities ravaged by warfare, such as the ones tested, where a child may have been orphaned. But I think that the US should rethink its labeling of this frequency of occurrences as a fraud and instead realize that if the pattern was found in so many countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda, Ghana, Guinea, Gambia and Ivory Coast), perhaps there's a gap in intercultural communication. And more importantly, if the resources and opportunities already exist for these people to be resettled and removed from potentially violent situations- why prevent it on such an arbitrary basis?

No comments: