12.10.2008

The City is POPPIN

It feels so odd to be back in such a lively environment considering how relatively isolated I spent the last week and a half. CAR was completely desolate and the streets were usually empty by 9pm each night. But in Yaounde, I can barely sleep because people are outside my window singing, dancing, and talking loudly in the streets until all times of the night. There’s definitely a deejay on my block spinning hits from the last three decades. And it’s great (as long as I can fall asleep at a decent hour!).
Yaounde has definitely changed quite a bit since I was here. I don’t remember it being so New Yorkish, but it’s a great feeling. I can see myself living here if I’m given the right job with the right salary. I think it’s a great combination of the modernity Ive become accustomed to and the warm weather, great food, and sense of a familial community that I seek.
It’s also great to have options of food to eat. I hate to continue to compare the two, but my diet was quite static in CAR. I’ve already told you about our adventure trying to find dinner in the North, but even in Bangui there were very few choices. Choices were very limited because of security in the town. Though there is no fighting or rebel occupation like in other places, because the streets empty out by 9, its mostly people who are up to no good who are out during dinner hours. So during one of our first few nights, my colleague and I were harassed by a few street kids who were clearly high off drugs and it wasn’t a comfortable feeling. Also, everyone kept recommending to us the spots that expats frequent and they were usually not local restaurants. I did not come all the way to Central Africa to eat Chinese, but I was forced to on one night. Though I will say it’s the best Chinese food I’ve ever had! But Yaounde has been completely different, besides the plethora of street vendors, there’s a million restaurants on every block with absolutely delicious food and a varied selection. I’m definitely happy to be back in Cameroon.
Tomorrow I will be traveling to Bertoua, which is the capital of the Eastern region. The East is historically one of the poorest regions in the country and I am told that it is nothing like Yaounde or Douala. However, considering what I witnessed in CAR, I’m sure it will still be an upgrade!

No comments: