5.12.2008

I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself!

Everyone once in a while, I come across an article that I can really appreciate. I feel no need to summarize or even comment much on it, because I couldn't have said it better myself! The following outlines why the lack of support given to students in African Universities will prevent them from developing and producing successful unique ventures.

Africa: Why Continent May Never Produce a Facebook
Mfonobong Nsehe


Randall Pinkett is a nice guy. You've probably heard of him. He's the savvy Rhodes MBA scholar, self-made millionaire entrepreneur, author, coach and motivational speaker who beat 17 other contestants to clinch the plum job in the fourth season edition of Real Estate tycoon, Donald Trump's famed and widely syndicated 'Apprentice' reality TV show.

As an author, Randall has written a book that would definitely be a student entrepreneur's delight. It is a very practical how-to guide for aspiring student entrepreneurs on how to successfully launch and run a profitable business while still in school. The title of the book is 'Campus CEO: The student entrepreneur's guide to launching a multi-million dollar business.'

In the book, Randall wrote a chapter that I found very interesting. It was on the issue of financing the businesses of student entrepreneurs.

As Randall noted, several universities in the United States and other more-developed countries of the world are very supportive of student entrepreneurs.

Many universities organise annual business plan competitions in their campuses in which students present their business ideas and business plans before a committee of well-established, seasoned and experienced business scholars, analysts and venture capitalists who review the students' prospective business plans.

At the end of the day, based on the strengths and prospects of their respective business plans, winners are selected and these winners stand to win cash prizes ranging from $10,000, $20,000, and in some cases, even as much as $100,000 to boost their start-up businesses.

Even for those students who do not win these University Business plan competitions, a coterie of venture capitalists scout through the business plan entries, eagerly seeking potential ventures to finance. Many big time corporations eventually spring up from these business plan competitions. Elsewhere, venture capitalists consider Universities the best place to find start-up companies that would be the 'Next big thing.'

But let's take a trip down to African Colleges and Universities. Are there any universities at all which are as supportive of student entrepreneurs as to organizing business plan competitions to fund businesses of students which have mega potential?

In the West, universities are eager to support student entrepreneurs in their campuses and even go out of their way looking for students with exceptional business ideas. Due to this kind of support, many big time corporations have sprung up from dormitory rooms in campuses from the United States. Apart from the fact that massive corporations are established, the schools where these ventures are established are instantly propelled to world fame.

Stanford University, for instance will forever occupy a pride of place among the list of the world's most elite Universities considering that companies like Yahoo and Google sprung up from there.

But how about Universities in Africa- Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria or Uganda? Where are you going to find venture capitalists in Kenya or elsewhere in Africa who will be willing to swallow their pride and listen to a student entrepreneur who is armed with nothing but a world-shaking idea? All the brightest ideas need not come from the West alone.

Truth is, many African students also have potential earth-shaking ideas-maybe even bigger than Google, Yahoo, Dell and Napster (all ventures begun by student entrepreneurs), but they are still waiting to see the light of day due to lack of capital. African entrepreneur students equally have business ideas that can grow into a big corporation, change the world and make lots of money.

A close friend of mine in Nigeria once had a crazy technology idea which needed only a few hundred thousand dollars to kick off with. Approaching banks and other so-called 'venture capitalists', he was snubbed extensively, discouraged and told to face his studies. Annoyed and frustrated, he eventually got a study abroad scholarship.

Within six months of staying in Canada, he secured the funding he needed, and as I write, his company's value is in the multi-million dollar range. As much as I know, his financiers have had an almost 200 per cent return on their investment in barely 12 months of operation.

We have such bright student entrepreneurs in Africa. But until African financiers and the self-proclaimed 'Venture capitalists' are easily accessible and listen to student entrepreneurs in our African Universities, Africa may never have its own answers to such mega, internationally famed corporations like Google, Yahoo, TicketAdvantage, CollegeHumor and Facebook which were all the brainchildren of student entrepreneurs.

We need financiers who will believe in and support the dreams of African student entrepreneurs and get those big ideas out of the boxes and into the pages of history. African student entrepreneurs are equally as smart, gifted and visionary and if supported can come up with big, world-changing ideas that would change the world.

And so, will the venture capitalists in Africa please stand up?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only used this product one time since I purchased it. I purchased it specifically for a special occasion where I would have my hair down. I have tight

curly hair gets very big and frizzy as it dries. The product did define the curls and they did not frizz after they dried. I have not used it regularly because I usually keep my hair pulled back in a twist.

I am satisfied with the product, but I prefer to use the Moroccanoil oil for daily use.

Anonymous said...

I have had such trouble finding a product for my wavy/curly hair. I have tried everything, and

while some products worked fine, Moroccan Oil is the best. It works in all climates, which is great for me since I travel a lot. I live mostly in a humid costal climate, and my hair doesn't frizz ar fall

flat since I started using this product. I love it!

Anonymous said...

This item is great for people w curly unruly hair. I have fine curly hair, just a lot of it - so sometimes products for curly thick (the folicle itself) do not give achieve the

results I want for my hair. The great thing is you only need a couple of pumps (too much can make your hair kind of hard - as if you were using a gel) and give you super defined curls w/o using gels,

hairsprays, individually twisting your curls, etc... It just gives you what you hope nature intended your hair to look like, w/o looking like you have a product in your hair - It has a nice mild smell and

gives you soft and bouncy curls - I use it to style and comb my hair (when wet) and then finish with a bit of MoroccanOil and have hair that looks great all day long

Anonymous said...

I have thick, curly hair. I used to use a mousse or a curl gel, then I tried a new salon and

they used this. My hair looked amazing! No frizz just curls. I use it right out of the shower and then seperate my hair out into curls and leave it. It ends up in beautiful ringlets. This also have a

wonderful smell that my husband loves. I got the shampoo and conditioner but they were not worth it. Just get this if you have curly hair and need help with frizz.

Anonymous said...

I suffer from curly, frizzy, wild hair.. I have tried every product imaginable and this is the best product

out there.. It takes about a minute to heat and run it through each handful of hair once and your hair is perfect.. it will stay smooth and frizz free not to mention straight as a board until u wash your

hair next(even if u wait 3 days).. Please buy this product if u don't believe me.

Anonymous said...

This is a great product for anyone with curly, wavy, or frizzy hair, it works

wonders!! my hair is like all three and its AMAZING! my hair is soo shiny and there is no frizz at all! My waves look gorgeous :) and it has a great hold but it doesnt weigh your hair down or anything! Its

soo touchable and beautiful!! A MUST-HAVE!! :)

Anonymous said...


There's definately a lot to learn about this subject. I really like all the points you've made.