5.22.2008

Union Government for Africa

In a quest to accelerate political and economic integration in Africa, 12 countries are meeting in Arusha to deliberate on a proposed Union Government for Africa. Member states set to attend are Botswana, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Libya, Nigeria, Senegal, Uganda, South Africa and Tanzania.
A union of this kind excites me for several reason. I hope that African leaders can begin to hold themselves accountable for democratic issues and human rights violations occurring in their countries, as there would be a direct effect on their economic stability and that of others in the union. I can only see such a union making countries stronger and making other African countries (especially those not in the union) less dependent on Western aid. I also hope that it would encourage a more communal spirit between nations. Though, I notice the only countries represented in the union that have a a bit of conflict are Cameroon and Nigeria (though it has been moderated through the ICC and has been fairly small scale), I would hope that a union such as this would help to reduce, if not obliterate violent conflict between states, especially members and those who seek to join. Ghana, being named the most peaceful country in Africa serves as a great leader for the continent and I hope to see the union succeed and flourish.

No comments: