5.12.2008

Saddest Thing I've Heard All Day

"When I grow up, I want to go to Africa and civilize people and teach them how to be good." - Bruce, a seven year old child on "Seven Up!"

This evening I began watching the "Seven Up!" series. If you haven't heard of it, it's a series that was produced decades ago in England. A group of fourteen seven-year-olds were chosen and filmed every seven years of their life until the turn of the century. They are chosen to represent different socioeconomic backgrounds. All of the children are White, except for one mixed boy, who doesn't seem to realize that he is half Black at this point.
The child who I quoted, Bruce, comes from a quite privileged background and is attending a boarding school. He has traveled to Africa before and claims to have a girlfriend waiting for him there, but sadly, even at his young age, he is still able to articulate such a negative ,yet innocent, view of Africa.

No comments: