3.11.2010

Bor is not so "Bor"-ing

I am in Bor now and I like it a lot better than I did Juba! It really proves how important it is to keep cities clean! Bor may have a few less concrete buildings, turn abouts, and no paved roads, but it’s clean! Dust and all!

The other thing I have thoroughly enjoyed about Bor is the overwhelming hospitality that I’ve experienced. I am sure that the town doesn’t get too many out of town visitors, but they sure do know how to treat them when they come. Due to a bit of “miscommunication”, we had no where to stay once we arrived, but a new friend at the World Food Program pulled some strings and got my colleague and I nice rooms at the Freedom Hotel. (As someone else pointed out, the Freedom Hotel and the Liberty Hotel are both clear odes to the impending referendum in Sudan).

The Freedom Hotel is a great hotel with wonderful staff. I also got my first fully authentic Sudanese meal and I loved every bit of it. I’m not sure what they called everything, but in a nutshell is was fufu and okra prepared differently. But it tasted almost as good as my mother’s and I was very happy and satisfied! Another night, I also had some beans that were absolutely delicious and didn’t enter into combat with my bowels.

My other new friend, the hotel manager, said that the next time I come he’d have pizza and ice cream and I begged him to reconsider… Hopefully he realizes that I’m very serious! Dinners here have been one of the highlights of my trip!

No comments: