3.12.2010

Shots vs Totes

Remind me to never order a shot at the bar! NEVER EVER AGAIN!

So last night, while having a few drinks with my new friends from Bor, Sudan, they explained to me why it was important that I request a “tote” of liquor at the bar, as opposed to a “shot”.

As I’ve already said, there are a lot of Ugandans and Kenyans in south Sudan. Most of them came about two years ago when the region began rebuilding and there was a great deal of business opportunities. You can come across Kenyans or Ugandans working in restaurants that mainly cater to foreigners. They are mechanics, drivers, hair dressers, selling produce in the markets. You name it, they’re there.
Unfortunately, many Kenyan and Ugandan women have also taken on some of the “older professions” in our society. Prostitution here is as common as anywhere and apparently in order to be more “tactful” or less forthright about their “services” some women would approach men or vice versa and ask if they’d like a “short time” or how much it would cost for a “short time”. As with most slang terms, “short time” was soon shortened to “short” for short.

So when I approached the bar and asked for a “shot”, I was a bit confused when the bartender looked at me questioningly and proposed 35 Sudanese Pounds (SDP)- roughly $18. Things around here are quite expensive, but $18 for a shot is just ridiculous! So I asked him again, pointing at my rum of choice. (I had bought a liter of mango juice for breakfast it and it was delish and would pair perfectly with a shot of rum as a night cap.) Though a bit confused at my gesture, he repeated 35 SDP again and opened his hands as if to say he didn’t have anymore than that.

At this point, I was becoming slightly annoyed because I refused to believe it cost that much. So I asked him if “Grande” was the only type of rum he had and if there were any that were any cheaper. At that question he said, “Ohhhh, the rum? A tote of that is 7SDP (roughly $4).” And then hurriedly gave me my order.

It wasn’t until later in the night that I found out that the whole time, the bartender thought I was a Kenyan prostitute! I’m glad that we cleared that up before I retreated back to my room, however, I’m still a bit offended that he only offered me 35 SDP…surely I’m worth more than that!

1 comment:

Angela said...

freakin hysterical!!!!