3.08.2010

I Was Raised AFRICAN

I think what many people fail to realize about me, is that I was raised African, Cameroonian to be exact. I grew up eating plantain and eggs for breakfast, jellof rice and roasted chicken for lunch, and fufu or gari with okra for dinner. I crave oko obong, eru, achu, ekwang, egussi pudding, koki corn, and nkwi. At 20+ years, I have no qualms about begging my mother to cook for me, because it tastes so much better when she prepares it. As a child, puff puff, chin chin, and coconut sweet were given to me as treats. As I child, I also hated the smell of miondo, but now I love it so much, that I buy bundles of it each time I go home, freeze it and devour it for months!
So when I tell you that I want African food and you tell me that I’ll get “enough of it later”, you are either punishing me or insulting a part of me. For the sake of peace, I’ll just ignore you while I go looking for roasted corn on the side of the road.

No comments: