3.09.2010

Runny Eggs- YUCK!

It seems like every post is about food. Sorry, but it’s one of the main things that I look forward to when I travel. I love trying different foods and learning new ways of preparing things. I’ve realized that with many African, Caribbean, and Latin American cultures, we use all of the same ingredients, just prepared differently.

The place we’re staying at in Juba, tries it’s darndest to cater to the varied pallets of each of its guests. I haven’t really spoken to anyone else who is staying at my hotel, but I can tell that they’re from all over the world by their style of dress, language, and accents. Unfortunately, my hotel is trying a bit too hard and the food is disgusting. It’s as if the cook has tried to hard to learn how to cook an item from everywhere, that they haven’t mastered anything. Would you rather get straight Cs or two As and a bunch of Ds? I personally like As…

So despite their being curried chicken, goat stew, ugali and fresh vegetables, fried rice, and pastas with all types of sauce- it’s all gross.

This morning when I actually work up and got ready leaving enough time for breakfast, I was ecstatic to see that there was an omelet bar. It took me back to my college days. When I ordered my eggs, I specifically told the cook that I wanted them fried hard because that previous week, I had been given runny eggs in Nairobi and had to send them back when I realized that they were runny. But of course, despite my clear request, what I was I given, runny eggs! YUCK!

I gave them back to the chef and while he was refrying them, I asked him why he insisted on giving me runny eggs. (Some of you may know how inquisitive and slightly confrontational I can be). He proceeded to tell me that since most of their guests are White Europeans, they tend to runny eggs. Well, I’m clearly not White, so why give them to me even when I requested they be friend hard? And he said that that’s just how they’re trained to do it. Huh?!?!?

Long story, not so short, it seems as though in an effort to please everyone or assumably please everyone, tings are actually made worse… and taste as gross as runny eggs. Sorry if I offended any of you runny egg lovers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I cant stand runny eggs, the thought of it makes me want to throw up. Specifically, I hate when people dip their toast in the runny egg yolk.

Anonymous said...

Most fucking disgusting shit in the god damn fucking world and i won't stand for it!!! :-$