4.28.2008

Respecting Your Roots- Rest in Peace Aimé Fernand David Césaire

I can not claim to have created the intellect behind my quest to "Reinvent Africa" in the eyes of those who don't know her.



Aimé Fernand David Césaire was a writer and influential leader in the movement to "reinvent"the perception of Negroes throughout the world. At a time when colonialist and imperialist powers were still lauded for their control and exploitation over southern nations and people, Aimé Césaire used his words to denounce such beliefs.
I remember reading "Discourse on Colonialism" during my freshman year of college in my Introduction to African American history course. And though I did not immediately understand its significance, as I have grown and traveled, I have come to understand the impact on colonialism on the colonizers and colonized, as well as the need for Black people to free themselves from mental slavery. The quest of this blog is to facilitate and open and honest discourse about Africans and the Diaspora because as we've realized through the work of Césaire and other revolutionaries, colonialism did not only exist politically. Africans around the world were trapped mentally and came to believe that they were inferior to the colonizers. It is only through an open and honest examination of ourselves that we can strive to and achieve greatness, through what we experience in our communities.

No comments: